High Fiber Whole Grain Pancakes
These yummy pancakes are a family favorite of ours. They are easy to make and very nutritious. As an excellent source of whole grains, this high fiber breakfast food can help keep you full all morning! Try serving with a scrambled egg and cup of fresh fruit (or 1/2 cup canned in light juice or water), or making and egg sandwich for a great balanced breakfast!
•3/4 cup milk (May use almond milk or other nondairy milk sub)
•1cup white whole wheat flour
•2Tbsp ground flax
•1tsp baking powder
•1/2 tsp baking soda
•1/2 tsp salt
•2 Tbsp honey
- •1Tbsp vanilla extract
- •For holiday pancakes add 1 tsp nutmeg and cinnamon.
1. Mix milk and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes to curdle.
2. Whisk dry ingredients.
•If you have a little helper, proportion the dry ingredients, have them put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
3. Add honey, egg and wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix
4. Warm skillet over medium low heat
5. Spray nonstick spray or grease pan as desired
4. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto greased pan and flip when begins to bubble and rise.
- For low fat pancakes use fat free or low fat milk.
- The milk and vinegar mixture may not curdle as well with nondairy milk
- For egg allergy or vegan pancakes sub 1Tbsp flax meal with 3 Tbsp water. Mix to paste and add as egg replacement.
- Sub milk for nondairy milk for dairy allergy or vegan pancakes.